I get massages about once a month to help me deal with the no sleep and stress of the job. I figure that they must be pretty bored standing in a dimly lit room with a nude stranger in a towel listening to the same Enya song for the 30th time that day, so I try and make small talk. And with a bit of experience I have come up with a list of topics to avoid while professionally trained strangers poke at your highly sensitive pressure points.
1. Why they didn't get a job where they don't have to touch naked strangers while listening to Enya.
2. How often they have thought about killing a massage patient and hiding the body.
3. Anything to do with the little mermaid. (Don't ask)
4. Ranting about the music and how boring it is. This is a fact they are highly aware of and have most likely tuned out. Bringing this to their attention tends to open old forgotten issues and makes them want to hurt you.
5. Dead pets and why they miss them.
6. Why the name fluffy is a stupid name for a dead pet and why you think it probably deserved to die.
7. Never ask: "Have you ever made anyone cry with those mannish hands?" (this was a woman therapist)
8. For some reason I decided to talk about lemmings and how they where the predecessor to the suicide bomber (what!? I get bored sometimes)little did I know her husband was in Iraq. But you can make them blow themselves up you know.... the lemmings, I'm still talking about the lemmings.
9. How the game of tick tack toe is a lost art. This conversation has no where to go and will eventually lead you down the road of lemmings with suicidal tendencies.
10. And finally and most crucially never ever talk about massages from better massage therapists. Not only is it insulting it will as most of my massages do, only end it tears.
I think I might just start pretending to be mute of course if they know sign language all I know how to say is how 'bout those lemmings.