Friday, April 24, 2009

ADD Managers

I have been reading about ADD lately (you know Attention deficit disorder) and was wondering if we really should be treating it? Now ADD is most apparent in children under 7. Really your child under 7 has problems paying attention really! But seriously I realize that this is a disease and all, but just listen to the symptoms.

•Often fails to pay close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork or other activities
•Often has trouble sustaining attention during tasks or play
•Seems not to listen even when spoken to directly
•Has difficulty following through on instructions and often fails to finish schoolwork, chores or other tasks
•Often has problems organizing tasks or activities
•Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort, such as schoolwork or homework
•Frequently loses needed items, such as books, pencils, toys or tools
•Can be easily distracted
•Forgetful often

Now think about those for a minute. Not only dose every child I have ever met under the age of 7 have these symptoms but let’s look at it in a different light for a moment these Kids are the managers of tomorrow.

•My Manager often fails to pay close attention to details or makes careless mistakes then blames it on me.
•My Manager often has trouble sustaining attention during meetings and work hours.
•My Manager seems to listen only to himself and I have found that if I do not use to much vulgarity I can pretty much say what ever I want because his brain literally shuts off until it is his turn to talk again.
•My Manager has difficulty following through and he gives incomplete instructions; example: go to the supply warehouse and get me the um… boxed thing I enjoy so much.
•My Manager often has problems with organizing tasks and activities and is always late and leaves early unless golf is involved then he reverses the order and arrives early and leaves late.
•My Manager avoids tasks that require sustained mental effort and will do anything to put them off such as reports and employee evaluations.
•My Manager frequently loses needed items, such as books, pencils, TPS reports, his snack pudding, and payroll hours then sends me out to get him more / makes me work overtime to finish them.
•My Manager can easily be distracted by golf, shinny things, jiggling keys, and the thought of coming to work.
•My Manager never remembers any part of a conversation that did not involve his new pro putter 7000 with the new titanium shaft, GPS tracking module, and laser guided hole projector, with the baby skin custom grip.

So I am not sure that I should treat my child for ADD otherwise he might turn out to be hard working and not the least bit qualified to be a manager.

No comments: